Monday, December 31, 2007

Quickie on wiki

Just toured the wiki for Stevens County and for KRL. So glad to have had an intro to the land of wikis -- have heard about them for a long time but didn't really have a sense of what they are. I'm not a web cruiser -- more a user, on & off as needed, not for entertainment, so have tended to stick with the type of websites I know & trust. This KRL2pt0 project is opening up whole new expanses of info & experiences. Now just need to weed through & determine what will be the most useful & interesting new tools to use, and train myself into new habits. Easier said than done. I'm grateful for the experience, though. This is training like I've had nowhere else, and something I would've never done on my own (wouldn't have know where to start, or even what to start.) So this is all good.

As for the wikis -- the Stevens County one reminded me a lot of an online tourism project I've been working on for another county, except without the gorgeous photos. Interesting. As a new user I hadn't a clue what the difference between "category" and "portal" was -- they aren't familiar terms for webpages (are they akin to "services" and "links"?). If so, it seems that would deter new wiki users (like me) from clicking further.

As for the KRL wiki -- the PR dept page should include press release updates. It would also be nice to have committee meetings & committee work handled this way (just like the Common Sense demo of the camping trip.) Sure would save a lot of email.

No comments: