Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Tweetish

Explored twitter, and really don't "get" it yet for application at the library.....but am SO excited about something else it could do! I was walking my hubby through all the COOL things I've learned in the KRL2pt0 journey, and then mentioned that Twitter was still on my need-to-do list for this afternoon. He sat with me & we read the KRL twitter blog aloud, and I could see the gears start turning. He's part of a volunteer rescue group that helps folks stuck on the sides of mountains, lost in the wilderness, etc. They have pagers for when they have call-outs, but have been looking for a way to eliminate the pagers & have the call-out message sent directly to members' cell phones. I think this could be their solution! Very cool to sit here in my living room and see an immediate, real-life application for this new technology we're being introduced to.

OK - back to library application..... hmmm....... Meeting change notices? Out-of-power annoucements? Not sure how this would be better/faster/different from using the group-email capabilities of Outlook, though. Perhaps something with patrons...? I need to think about that more.

Explored some Twitterers. Found the author of the KRL reads Farenheit 451 blog. Found Shannon Petersen (loved her twitter about the coolest moment and the teen wanting a fort).

Created my own account. Way too tough to figure out how to find people. I added a few people to follow, but after 30 min gave up on trying to find krl. What did I miss??? Did a search for kitsaplibrary, library, krl, etc etc etc. Nothing. gRRRRR.

1 comment:

krl2pt0 said...

what a great example of a very real-life application for twitter. Check out Reader's Banquet - they blogged about the Cleveland Public Library Twitter feed and things it was pushing out to it's followers - quotes, books about current presidential candidates, this day in literary history - all cool little tidbits that might help keep folks tuned in to krl and what it is saying.

twitter's search function doesn't always work well - try finding the library by it's gmail account - krl2pt0@gmail.com.

nice observations about facebook as well. hope you keep blogging every now & then.

bc